Thursday, August 27, 2009

PENCILicious


I’m doing Basic Skills Training for the Nth time for the Nth job… But as they say, when the going gets tough, the tough gets going…

Moving on, we had an essay activity wherein where we choose one out of three topics. I choose the topic that is more familiar to me. I chose “Explain three uses for a pencil besides writing.”

I can explain several uses for a pencil but I will cite the three uses that are charged to my experience and experimentation.

First use is as weapon of choice. I was in prep, the level after pre-school and before starting grade 1. One of my classmates stabbed my left hand between my middle and pointing fingers because he was furious and jealous that my other classmate gave me his stickers. We ended up at the principal’s office.

Next use is for personal leisure. When I was in high school, my best friend has a sister who relentlessly collects pencils in all shapes, sizes, and colors. She neatly placed her collection in a big canister. Curious, I asked my best friend why her sister collects them. She sarcastically commented,”She doesn’t have a boyfriend, that’s why.” After hearing that, I swore not to touch those pencils ever again.

The last use that I can think of is for gastronomic use. A pair of pencils can replace chopsticks during a sudden Asian take out at the office. But I would definitely think twice before using pencils because of the chance of getting sick due to lead poisoning.

Nevertheless, therefore I conclude that pencils should only be used in perpetuity for it’s intended use, that is for writing and drawing. Seriously!

No comments: